At McKees Rocks Forgings, we utilize a 10,000-ton, four column hydraulic press to produce forged circular sections including crane wheels, industrial wheels, sheave wheels, gear blanks, rollers, and other products.
The power of our hydraulic press, combined with the closed-die design, allows McKees Rocks Forgings to achieve the dramatic reduction ratios that are critical to high quality forgings. All products are upset forged, meaning the metal flows outward in a radial direction to fill the die during forging.
Once the die cavity is filled, the pressure is intensified to ensure the elimination of any microscopic porosity that may have existed as a result of the ingot's casting process. This provides an extremely uniform and homogeneous grain structure in the forging (opposed to cast wheels which will always have some porosity caused by shrinkage of the steel during solidification). The grain structure and directional orientation of flow lines produces greater yield, tensile strength and other physical properties than a cast wheel.
We can quickly develop custom forgings with QForm simulation to meet your specific needs. New tooling is fabricated in a modular design to limit the cost (opposed to solid tooling designs). New tooling can be designed and implemented quickly to meet the forging schedule and to facilitate the delivery of a quality finished product.
To create our quality products, we utilize:
- An extensive inventory of dies and forming plates to match the geometry of your parts.
- New tooling can be manufactured in-house to meet your needs.
- Custom tooling for high volume part runs is very economical
- Pressing with 10,000 tons of force to forge carbon, alloy, and stainless steel alloys.
- This is typically done in one to two operations.
- All product models and forgings are drawn in SolidWorks2019 to verify stock allowances.
- Existing tooling models can be interchanged to form new forging sections.
- Qform simulation which provides verification of custom forgings
- Aids developing new tooling quickly and efficiently to meet your needs.
- Validates standard stock allowances.
- Shows voids and folds.